Friday, September 28, 2007

Fall Resolutions

Disclaimer: When I use the word "popular" what I mean is generaly uninspiring, yet scarcely worthy of perusal.

Since my Summer Resolutions post was one of my most popular, I'm going to post some Fall Resolutions now.

"Fall is my favorite season. I love the colors, the weather, the crisp air."
That's how I started the summer resolutions, so you can see why I'd like to make this Fall significant. Fall already holds many of my favorite memories and I'd like to add to that collection this year.
Here's a few things I'd like to accomplish between now and, say, Thanksgiving.

1. Take my family on a few weekend drives to some of the best spots I know of to see the fall colors.

2. Go to a major college or pro football game. I don't care what teams I watch, just want to experience it. (note: I've been to one NFL game and several Notre Dame games as part of the media - even stood on the sidelines taking pictures at those games - but I want to see it from the fan's perspective)

3. Continue fishing.

4. Play in the fallen leaves with my kids.

5. Finish the two books I've just purchased - Made to Stick and Now, Discover Your Strengths. (I've only read the intro of Made to Stick and I already feel like I've got plenty to blog about and try to apply)

6. Eat chili, but not too much because ...

7. Lose weight. I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds. I want to do it by eating healthier and establishing a consistent workout routine that includes lifting weights and some sort of cardio exercise (preferably basketball) 2-3 times per week.

8. Take lots of pictures and videos of my kids. I just realized how little we've been documenting their lives lately. For example, we have only measured and marked my son's height once. He's almost 3!!!!! By the way, he's the exact same height my daughter was when she turned 3, and my daughter is 3 feet, 9 inches. I have a feeling she's going to be tall like her mommy (6'1").

9. Look for new ways to be generous to people. This could include giving money away, but I'm thinking more of different forms of generosity. I'll try to let you know as I think of them.

10. Come up with a plan to start my own design business. This would not replace my job at the church, but serve as sort of a side job.

OK, that's it. Ten things I need to get started on. What do you hope to accomplish in the next few months?

No comments: