Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The coolest wife in the world



Just in case I didn't make it clear in this post, I want to tell you how awesome my wife is.
For the men reading this, be prepared to become a little jealous.
We've started a tradition of sorts in our family at Christmas where, instead of buying each other gifts we either go without gifts from each other or we decide on a gift to buy that is for both of us. Last year we both got iPods.
A couple weeks ago Katie (my wife) asked me what we should do for this Christmas. She had a couple ideas in mind and shared them. She said she thought we should either get a treadmill or, get this, a new TV.
Now, unless you know us quite well you probably don't know that we rarely watch regular TV programming. The only things we normally watch are sports (me, mostly) and movies (us and the kids). In fact, I can't remember the last time we turned the TV on just to watch a regular show.
So, while we were visiting with Katie's father and his family over the weekend, we started talking about TVs. He sort of informed us that we had to get a widescreen HD TV. We were both in the dark on why we should do this, but he was very convincing. Since that day, we've both been talking about it and Katie is really fired up to get a new flat panel LCD HD TV!!!!! (Guys, this is where some of you are probably getting a little jealous)
How many women lead the charge to get a bigger, better television in their house?
She's so excited, she wants to go out on the day after Thanksgiving and find the best deal on one.
So, I'm probably going to be watching football on my new HD TV this weekend, all because my wife wants me to!!!!!!!!


OK, for those of you that think this is a pretty shallow reason to be bragging on my wife, here's something else she did recently that made me stop and thank God for her. Below you'll see the body of an email she sent out to some of her friends who are also stay-at-home moms. To be clear, we don't have any problem with mothers that choose to work, we'd just like to encourage those that stay home.

Hey fellow stay at home mommies! You know, this morning as I was about to begin the tasks that I have to do everyday (You know the tasks that you can never get ahead on - you do them everyday no matter what, over and over) anyway, I was getting frustrated at my long list of things to do and as I was working on a task I was thinking to myself "I hate making this bed, I am sick of doing the dishes, if I have to do another load of laundry..." and at that moment I felt God whisper to me "Your only job is to love your kids".

I thought at first, yeah right, but then God kept reassuring me that my kids are my only job. I smiled and actually chuckled out loud. How did I forget that again?

You know, after that my day was great. I dropped what I was doing because the pressure was off - the Lord of Lords and King of Kings said that my job is to love my kids, not make the bed, or do the dishes, or keep up with the laundry. If my house is a wreck and my kids know that I treasure them, then I have succeeded!

I had fun with my kids today! We played games, we laughed and cuddled. I am so thankful that God gave me a gentle reminder that I don't stay home to accomplish a list - I stay home to love on my kids.

Here is some other good news - I actually got lots done around the house - but I saw my tasks in a whole new light. Getting things done is a bonus - but my kids are priority.

So, today I didn't get mad when I was interrupted 20 times trying to do the dishes - I stopped doing the dishes to take care of my babies. Then, when they were content by themselves I finished the dishes.

I am so thankful that this simple thought was given to my heart, because it completely changed my day and my kid's day.

Thank you all who stay home! It is so hard and so wonderful! Just remember to love your babies and cherish them - because the dishes, laundry, and dust will be there forever - your kids won't.

Lord, thanks for today! Help me remember it tomorrow!!

3 comments:

Craig Helfrich said...

Dude,
You guys are so awesome and I am very THANKFUL for your friendship.

Lynette said...

You did capture a good one. :-) When I moved to Wichita, I commented on how my friend Tara and her husband had a nice widescreen, flat-panel television in their basement. In a slightly irritated tone she said her husband wanted it. That's the response of most women I know who have one in their house. Take Katie up on it while she's enthused! I give credit to stay-at-home moms. I babysat my niece on five hours of sleep a couple weeks ago, and I barely survived! And I wasn't even required to do any cleaning. I'm not sure how I'll be a mother some day.

ALI said...

Hey Dan! Let Katie know that what she said in that email was awesome! It made me realize that so many times I get caught up in "what I have to do" for the day but mostly what God says my job is to simply love those around me. So thanks for blogging that because it's teaching me even while I'm down here in the Dominican!