Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A New Beginning


This is unbelievable to me: Today is my daughter's first day of school.

How did this happen? When did she go from being a baby, to a toddler, to a little girl, to a student?

It's even more crazy because she could have started school last year - she turned 6 in May - and I still think this all happened too fast.

The reality is that she's growing up. She's becoming the girl I always imagined she would be. And now she's a student. I feel really good about where she's at intellectually - she already knows a lot of the things Kindergarteners will be learning.

I also feel really good that she's being homeschooled by my wife. Homeschooling, as a whole, takes a lot of abuse and gets a really bad reputation. I've even heard people refer to homeschoolers as a cult (it was a joke, but just barely). I just don't understand how taking responsibility for your child's education can be viewed as a bad thing.

This is not the forum to start a debate over homeschooling, just know that I'm in favor of it if parents feel it's best for their children. No parent is going to homeschool their child with the intention of doing harm, so any negative outcomes of homeschooling are completely unintentional. I just wish people would support loving, caring, concerned parents more.

There is not a doubt in my mind that staying at home is the best thing for Hanah this year, and maybe for a few years. We're going to re-evaluate every year whether homeschooling, private school or public school is the best option for our kids.

I'm excited about what Hanah is going to learn this year - heck, I'm excited about what she's going to learn today! I am going to try to be part of the whole process, even if it means just helping with schoolwork in the evening.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Dan,

I don't think there's anything wrong with homeschooling...as long as the teacher is dedicated to the process, and from all I've read on here about your wife, that won't be a problem. The lack of social interaction used to concern me,also, but with church activities and your circle of friends with same-aged kids will fill that gap quite nicely, too. With all the crap going on in the public schools, and dealing with "playground heirarchy" at such a young age, I think it's great to give it a try. Hope it goes great!

Unknown said...

As a licensed teacher, I think homeschooling is great. It is a lot of work for the parent, but the benefits are huge. Katie will be a great teacher! My niece and nephew are homeschooled too. My sister-in-law is amazing! As for our family, we are so blessed to live in Wakarusa that our public elementary school is only 2 teachers away from being a Christian school! And now that I am teaching at Northwood, I am remembering how many Christians there are in this school system, from the teachers to the administrators to the janitors. Those of us who live in Wa-Nee are truly blessed. It's not perfect, but for a public school - it is awesome! I know Katie and Hanah will have an amazing year!

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful how supportive and excited you are about homeschooling your kids!
As a fellow homeschooler, I can tell you that it is VITAL that Katie has your support and involvement and ENCOURAGEMENT!

You will be her primary place to get energized...and you will be your children's primary place to share what they are learning.

I'm proud of both of you and the sacrifices you are making to do what you feel is best for your children. (and No, I don't think homeschooling is for everyone...but you guys will be awesome!)

Anonymous said...

yea 4 homeskl; yea public skl ...
i just wanted to say the pic of hanah is absolutely fantastic!