So, in honor of this milestone-ish birthday I've got coming up, here's a list of my 35 favorite things about getting older:
1. Perspective - I get more of it with each passing year.
2. Relationships - As time goes on you find out which ones are for real and which aren't.
3. Being Married - So many reasons. One is comfort.
4. Being a Dad - Again, too many reasons to list.
5. Responsibility - It's only been in the last few years that I've started enjoying this part of getting older.
6. Memories - The older I get the more I cherish the events/places/people from the past.
7. Work - I've never been a workaholic, and am still not, but I do appreciate the value of working hard for something you really want.
8. Potential - Today's world doesn't expect too much out of older people, but there is so much potential in each person, no matter what age.
9. Dreams - I've accomplished a few and have plenty left to keep pushing for.
10. Confidence - I still have times of insecurity, but overall I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin.
11. Money & Toys - They're not nearly as important as they used to be.
12. Time - Even though it seems to speed up every year, I appreciate time with people more than ever.
13. Priorities - I think I'm beginning to understand what's really important in life.
14. Young People - I hope I never become a grumpy old man because young people have so much to offer and I always want to spend time with them.
15. Old People - One of the best quotes I ever read was something like, "Spend time every day with someone half your age and someone twice your age." Older people have so much wisdom.
16. Vacations - I've learned that we don't have to fly to a tropical resort to have a great family vacation. Simple times away can be as much fun as those big, expensive vacations!
17. Home - I cherish time at home. It refreshes me.
18. Quiet - I'm no expert at this, but I'm learning to enjoy silence and solitude.
19. Sports - As my physical abilities start to diminish, I appreciate all the more the ability to play sports.
20. Health - I'll never take for granted the gift of good health.
21. New Things - The older I get the more exciting it is to try new things.
22. Food - I like things I used to hate. I'm so thankful every time I eat a good burger.
23. My Wife - This is kind of like #3, but sharing life with my best friend is more enjoyable than I ever imagined it could be.
24. Jesus - He becomes more real every day. I see Him in my kids. I see Him in strangers. I feel Him in me.
25. Skills - The experiences I've had have left me with skills I didn't know I could have. That's kind of fun.
26. The Seasons - Every year brings them around and every year I like all 4 of them more and more (yes, even winter).
27. A Mission - I never really felt like I had a mission in life, but now I know for sure what my mission is!
28. Technology - Although I don't always adapt to it, I am constantly blown away by the advances in the world of technology. Again, I don't want to ever be the grumpy old guy who dismisses things because I don't understand them.
29. Art - It seems like every few weeks I discover art and creativity in something new. I believe we were all created to create.
30. Books - With age has come a hunger for the wisdom that only comes from reading books by people who are smarter than me!
31. Serving - In the last few years God has given me a desire to help others that I've never had before.
32. Naps - I don't get these very often, but when I do I am SOOOOOO thankful!
33. Love - Real, true love is maybe the most valuable thing in this world.
34. Laughter - Things are never bad enough that you can't make time to laugh. It makes all the bad stuff go away, even if just for a few moments.
35. Breathing - Every day that goes by, I am more and more thankful just to be alive and able to experience all the things on this list!