Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Daughter is Teaching Me


Is it OK for me to be vulnerable on my blog?

Well, it is MY blog after all, so if you're uncomfortable with me writing some vulnerable stuff - or if you're uncomfortable with me even using the word vulnerable - you should stop reading now. But, if you're OK with it, read on.

This past weekend my 9-year-old daughter (pictured above with a friend from our neighborhood) came up with the idea to organize a Bible Study for kids in the neighborhood.

I'm not involved in a regular Bible study and neither is my wife. It's not something we suggested to her and - here comes the vulnerable part - I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with it. Let me be clear - I'm completely comfortable and very excited about my daughter studying her Bible. It's the thought of inviting a bunch of kids to our house for a Bible study that I'm not sure about.

So, for those of you questioning my salvation right now, calm down. I believe in the Bible and I believe in the value of sharing its truth with others.

My uneasiness comes from the prospect of my daughter inviting kids from the neighborhood, whose parents don't believe the same things I believe, over for a Bible study she's going to lead.

BUT, as the title of this post states, my daughter is teaching me. My initial response to her idea is not positive and I get queasy at the possible reactions from the other parents. But my daughter doesn't think about that. She's young, yes, and probably isn't capable of considering such possibilities yet, but that doesn't make the lesson she's teaching me any less significant. If she doesn't fear rejection or the possibility of being viewed as WEIRD, then why should I?

After all, the Bible (the book she wants to share with her friends) tells us if we follow Jesus we are going to be strangers in this world and even persecuted. "All men will hate you because of me," is how Jesus said it. And I believe the Bible.

My faith is firm. I've been working on it for almost 30 years. I believe with all my heart that Jesus really lived, died and came back to life so that I could be saved from my sin.

If all that is true, then what do I have to be afraid of?
Why should the possibility of being rejected scare me?
What choice do I have but to show my little girl what it means to live out my faith?

I'm sure there will be some negative feedback, but I'm also confident that God will use my daughter's Bible study to show some kids how much He loves them.

I thank God for my daughter and the desire she has in her heart for all of her friends to meet Jesus. I hope she never loses her fearlessness and is always bold about sharing the love of Jesus!