Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Living sacrifices

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as
living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of
worship. - Romans 12:1

As I was sitting in church this past Sunday and listening to the story of a couple from Savannah, Georgia, who left everything to start an abandoned baby center in Kenya, I had to start asking myself some questions.

1. What am I doing for Christ and others?
2. How could I possibly just drop everything if God called me to serve somewhere else?
3. Would my wife and kids understand if I told them we had to move to another country?
4. Would my wife and kids be safe if we had to move to another country?
5. Could I take my kids away from all of their grandparents?
6. What am I doing for Christ and others?

Stories of people who were willing to leave everything to follow Christ's calling are inspiring, but also very convicting. I know for certain that I'm not ready to do that, but I know I should be. If God called me to move to Africa and be the one who continued the work there, I should be ready to say, "OK God, I trust you." I want to be ready.

I'm starting to realize the dangers of surrendering my will to Christ, and the safety of it. For me, it's an incredibly scary thing when uncertainty comes into the picture. Uncertainty over the future can almost be crippling. After all, I've got to take care of my family.

But, on those few occasions that I've allowed God to comfort my soul and released the anxiety, He's never let me down. God has ALWAYS taken care of my family better than I could have.

I want to be ready for the call. I want to say, "OK God, I trust you," no matter what the call is. I want my family to be ready for me to tell them we're going to follow God's will, no matter how uncertain it may seem.

I'm glad to be in a position of support for a ministry that is concerned with God's will. But, I want that concern to be my own. I know getting paid to support one of His ministries isn't enough. I want to offer this body as a living sacrifice.

1 comment:

the Peterson family said...

I would say GO! God is AMAZING!