Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Love His Children


I've always thought of serving as something I should do, rather than something I get to do. Since I've started attending and working at Nappanee Missionary Church, however, my thoughts have changed.

Shortly after I began attending NMC, First Serve Saturday was started.

This is a monthly event at NMC, where people give the morning of the first Saturday each month to serve at various locations in the area. I was able to be part of the first one and came away feeling blessed rather than like I had blessed somebody else.

That's when it kind of hit me that serving is as much for my benefit as it is for the benefit of others. God helped me understand a principle our pastor taught a few weeks ago: The way we give love back to God is by taking the love He gives us and paying it forward to His children. Loving other people is a key ingredient to my relationship with God. Without loving and serving others, it's a one-way relationship, and those don't work very well.

This is probably not a new concept for most people, but for me it opened up a whole new set of possibilities. Now, I get to serve others, and in turn show my Heavently Father how much I love Him.

1 comment: