Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Buzz Cuts - Part 6

My neighbor Neal Yoder told me once about fishing contests he sometimes has with his son Reid. They go out to the end of their pier and see who can catch more fish in a given amount of time - sometimes they each have a pole, sometimes they have to take turns using the same pole.

One of the first things I heard about Reid when I first moved to the lake was that he was probably the best fisherman on the lake. Then I heard it again, and again. So, I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing Neal has been handed several defeats by his son.

Last night David and I finished up our mowing and had some time to kill before the girls got home from an excursion of their own so we decided to do some fishing. I don't usually let the kids have real hooks when we're all out fishing together because of the obvious safety risks. Since it was just David and me last night, I rigged his little pole up with a real hook, a sinker and a bobber. I baited the hook and did the casting of his line, but then he took over.

We were fishing off the pier where I knew plenty of small bluegill would be swimming and he would likely catch one. What I didn't know was that David's first catch was going to be this:


Yep, this 12-14 inch largemouth bass is the first fish David has ever caught by himself. He did ask for help reeling it in when the fish swam to the other side of the pier, but it was David's catch, fair and square.

In all, David caught seven fish in the time we were out there. I didn't really count mine, but I know I didn't catch that many.

We didn't set out to have a competition, but it reminded me of Neal and Reid. I know the day is coming when David will routinely beat me in competition, but I'd like to think I can hold him off for a while longer!

No comments: