Friday, June 15, 2007

Big changes, Boats and Banana Pancakes

I've got a few things on my mind today and rather than a bunch of separate posts, I thought it would be much easier to put them all in one. Plus, this should help me keep each brief.

So, if you haven't given up on this post already, here it goes ...

1. BIG CHANGES

I wrote last week about some big changes coming for my family and me. Well, I'm ready to share them. Depending on who you are, you may or may not know that my wife and I currently live and work at the Bethel College Spiritual Retreat Center on Dewart Lake in Syracuse. We are the caretakers of the center and, as such, receive a salary and housing. So, we've got it pretty good right now.

Our current situation is going to change, however, as Bethel recently listed the property with a realtor. We will have 60 days to move out once the property sells, so we're very much up in the air as to how much longer we have there. Once the time comes to move, we'll be losing free housing and a salary.

Even so, I feel very good about the future. I am not nervous and I know God has a plan for us and a reason why we can't be there anymore. So, I'm excited to see what He's got in store.

2. LONG-TERM PROJECT?

This is on my mind because I finally put some photos on a CD and brought it to work with me.

We bought a pontoon boat from Bethel last year, knowing it would need to be rebuilt before we could use it. We considered it a long-term project.

Well, I've got boating fever and am wanting to get it done and in the water! The only problem is coming up with the money and time to get it done.

Here's a picture of the progress I made on the first day of work (May 14).


The plan is to take it completely apart and replace the floorboards and carpet, then reassemble the rails. As it sits today, the carpet is completely removed and the old floorboards just need to be removed to complete the disassembly phase.

I'll try to keep you posted on the progress and then someday I'll invite all of you out for a boat ride!

3. BANANA PANCAKES

Since I got Jack Johnson's album "In Between Dreams" I've been telling my wife I'm going to find a recipe for banana pancakes. Well, I finally did it. You can have it too.

In case you don't know, the third song on the album is called Banana Pancakes. Here are the words:

2 comments:

Dan said...

Sounds like an exciting/unsure next couple of months. Sometimes those are the best ones.

I like the boat! If you wanted to do a little work on it after disc golf, I wouldn't mind pitching in for an afternoon...

Chad A. Loucks said...

Oh Jacky J...