Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Reflecting at 4 a.m.

The puppy (Gus) woke me up at 4 a.m. this morning. Apparently, he needed to relieve himself.
I went to bed early, so after he finished his business I couldn't get back to sleep. There were too many thoughts to try to push out of my head, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I'd probably be up for an hour or two thinking.
It was a good time. If it hadn't been at 4 a.m., it would have been a great chance for me to get a piece of paper and start listing those thoughts (so I could do something about them during normal waking hours).
Here are some of the things I was thinking about before I was able to drift off again ...
1. I just started reading a book called "God's Secret Agent" by Sammy Tippit and Jerry B. Jenkins. It is the story of Sammy Tippit's life. Sammy is an international evangelist and a friend of our church. I got to hear him speak recently for the first time. Very powerful and easy to listen to.
I'm only a few chapters in, but already I've been challenged by his passion for evangelism. His eagerness to share his love for Jesus with others is amazing.
Evangelism, even sharing Jesus with others on an informal level, is something I've always struggled with. I've been putting off reading this book, just because there were others I've wanted to read more, but I'm glad it's finally Sammy's turn. I NEED to hear his story. I NEED to serve others through evangelism.
2. There are big changes on the way for my family and me (I'll probably share more about this as things unfold). Some of them are scary. Most of them are incredibly exciting. I'm so glad that God has continually given us a certain level of uncertainty, because we've experienced His goodness over and over again through the way He's taken care of us. I don't know what the next few months, or even the next few minutes hold but, man, I feel good about where God is taking me!
3. I've been blogging less than a month, and already it has re-connected me with a couple friends. Dan Erickson and Matt Peterson were two of the best guys I hung around with in college and since then I've fallen out of touch with them. It's good to read about their lives and I'm glad I get to share with them too. Dan's blog is fun to read because he's a great writer and very funny. Matt's site is fun to read because you just never know what his next adventure is going to be!
4. I love my family. We went for a bike ride last night and it was such a great time. We had to keep telling them this wasn't a race because they're so competitive. I don't know where they get that from. They love being outside and being active, something I hope to encourage throughout their lives.
5. God is good. He's given me so much. I never could have imagined I'd be where I am now, and that's incredible because it's a good place to be. I've got it good and I'm thankful.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Dan-
Thanks for the shout out and the kind words. In a world increasingly isolated by its own technology, it's refreshing to use it to reconnect with old (and in our case "old" is now the right word) friends.

Looking forward to hearing about the exciting and scary events God has in store for you. It's funny how the most exciting and rewarding parts of life are usually the most terrifying.