Thursday, February 14, 2008

Championship


For the last 5 months I've been helping my friend Craig coach his basketball team at Harrison Elementary School in Warsaw. It is the boys team and is made up of 4th, 5th and 6th graders.

Last night we beat Madison Elementary in the city championship game, giving Harrison its fourth championship since Craig has been the head coach. Madison was the only team that beat us during the regular season so it was extra sweet to avenge that loss in the championship game.
I was reluctant when Craig first asked me to help coach this team. I thought it would be too much of a time commitment. I wasn't sure I would enjoy it. I didn't know if I really had anything to offer.
I quickly found out I was dead wrong. After the first day of tryouts, I realized how much fun it would be. Craig graciously told me to only come when I was able and offering helpful tips to the players came pretty naturally.
Looking back at when I was their age, I am amazed at how good these kids are at basketball. I was never a star player but these kids already know so much more than I did about the game and they have skills that I didn't develop until much later in life.
Last night was the first time in my life I've been a part of a championship basketball game. It was pretty tense. The kids played great - they definitely saved their best for last. And it was another great example of how defense wins championships. We held Madison to 17 points, which is very low for such a good team. We kept their two best players in check most of the night and did a great job of playing team defense.
I am very thankful for the opportunity to help coach this team. It was such a great experience and I'll always remember those kids. Congratulations Huskies!

No comments: