Friday, August 3, 2007

He Makes Others Great

I love to watch Steve Nash play basketball. He's a squirrely, wiry, sneaky little guy.
And the thing he does best is pass to his teammates.
Steve Nash "serves" up assists. In this video, he had 21 assists in one game. That's a lot!
Nash is not the biggest, fastest, most athletic basketball player you'll ever see. In fact, he's among the NBA's "little guys" and probably one of the league's least athletic players.
However, he has been the MVP of the league three years in a row.
I'm telling you all of this because there's a lot of times when I wish I had more ability. I sometimes wonder why God has put me in a behind-the-scenes roll. Why did He gift me in areas that don't garner much attention?
Well, if you were to run into Steve Nash on the street you wouldn't think, "He must be an NBA player." In fact, you probably wouldn't notice him at all because he looks like an average Joe.
But Steve Nash has taken his gifts and used them to make his teammates better - that's why he's the MVP. There's no other player in the league who is more "valuable" to his team than Steve Nash.'
If I can take the gifts I have and use them to make everyone else around me better, could I be the MVP? And, even if I'm not the MVP could I help my "team" win?
I want to take those things that God has created in me and leverage them for His glory. I want to use what I have to make others shine.
I'm not the most creative. I'm not a good public speaker.
I didn't do well with Biblical languages in college.
But, none of that disqualifies me from being an effective minister. All I need to do is focus my talents and energies on helping the "star" players (in my case, pastors and other front-line ministers) be better at what they do.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Great analogy, Dan.

It took me a while, but once I realized that it wasn't about me, but it was all about Him, I finally allowed Him to use me in places I never would have thought of on my own.

..also, I love Nash....Incredible court vision, guts, and a large pair...(search on youtube for him getting his nose busted in the playoffs and coming back in with it just taped together!)