Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What's the lesson?

I need your help to sort this one out.

Monday afternoon a phrase came out of my mouth that has been in my head since.

Sunday afternoon I rode a wave runner that maxed out at about 51 mph. Monday I rode one that didn't have a speedometer, but I'm guessing it maxed out at about 35-40 mph.

After riding the slower, I said, "I always thought if I was going to buy a wave runner it would have to be a fast one to be fun. But after riding this one (the slower) I think I was wrong. I had a lot of fun out there."

So, as I keep thinking about that phrase, I think there's got to be a lesson in it. There are probably some easy, obvious ones that come to mind quickly. But I think there are some lessons there that aren't so easy.

I'm asking anybody reading this to think about that phrase and help me sort out the lessons of that phrase. I know it was just a random statement about wave runners, but could it serve as an analogy for something bigger?

5 comments:

Rob said...

I know exactly what you're saying. Most of my life I've wanted time to hurry and pass so I could move on the the next thing, whatever that was at the time. But now, as a father, I'm learning to enjoy the times I have right now, knowing that I'll never get that time back again. To quote Ferris Bueller in my favorite movie of all time:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Dan said...

The easy lessons:
1. Don't make a judgment about an experience until you have actually experienced it.
2. More expensive is not always better.

The practical lessons:
1. It would probably be safer for your family to have the slower wave runner anyway.
2. Is there really a time on a wave runner, regardless of speed, that isn't fun?

The glib lessons:
1. You're getting old.
2. You can spend more time enjoying the slower wave runner as it takes you longer to go the same distance.

the Peterson family said...

I would say you are looking for more control in life. I see you wanting something (wave runner) that you can control more and obviously something slower we feel more confident and more likely to control. Otherwise maybe something faster that pushes us to limits we are not familiar with and would be less enticing to not know the limits. Could we also say that we are getting older? I am already looking for the car that rides smooth and has comfortable seats where as a few years ago it didn't matter what it was as long as it went over large objects.

Dan Weiss said...

Two guys who recently turned 30 are telling me the lesson is simply, 'you're getting old.'
Guys, I already thought of that. I turned 30 before either of you!
Thanks for the feedback.

the Peterson family said...

ok, I was holding back because I was not sure you would really get what I wanted to say. Apparently you are ready.

The newer wave runner is like a younger banana tree planted in the rocky mountains where no one can see it grow and mature into a full tree while the older wave runner is like a spotted cow that needs grass to grow and make milk for all the young kids in the world. When you look at the 2 up close you say "what??" but bare with me and take a few steps back... notice anything? Do you see the truth? Take a few more steps back. I know you will see the wisdom here if you just try to think outside. Call me if you don't get it, "old guy", and I will use my superior young age to decipher it for you.