Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What Am I Seeking?

We're getting ready to start a new teaching series at Nappanee Missionary Church called Seek. It's only three weeks long and will help us filter through some of the stuff that can often sidetrack us this time of the year.

My job when we start a new series is to come up with a logo, or a general look to go along with the series. For Seek, my idea was to represent the craziness of the holiday season and how the things of God can sometimes get mixed up with the things of the world.

Here's the logo, although I don't know if this is the one we'll end up using or not.


Either way, working on this logo got me thinking about my life and my priorities during this time of the year.

It is so easy to get wrapped up in the things that keep me busy and keep my mind away from God. I'm not just talking about presents, decorations and food. I'm also talking about all the good things, like spending time with family and friends, finding ways to give to others and church activities.

When I let those things dictate my schedule and dominate my thoughts, there's little room left for reflecting on why I celebrate Christmas and thanking God for the amazing gift of His Son.

We have a tradition at our house on Christmas Eve where we all get down on the floor right by the Christmas tree and read the gospel story of Jesus' birth. It's a tradition I look forward to and want to keep forever.

I just hope Christmas Eve isn't the first time I stop and consider the magnitude of what God has done for me.

No comments: