Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Old School Rap Mix

Following in the spirit of the iPod shuffle, I want to share some of the music I'm listening to today.

There's a great website called pandora.com where you can enter the name of a musician or band you like and the site will play music from that musician/artist as well as others who have a similar sound. When you enter a name you create a channel and then you can come back to that channel anytime.

So today I picked my Beastie Boys channel and wound up with one of the most awesome mixes of old school rap I've heard in a long time. Here's a sampling of the bands I'm listening to as I type:

Beastie Boys
Run DMC
A Tribe Called Quest
LL Cool J
Digital Underground
The House of Pain
Young MC
Cypress Hill

Also, a bunch of songs from Rage Against the Machine got mixed in there. Not exactly old school rap, but I dig it.

Anyway, listening to this mix today has really taken me back to my past. I didn't realize how much of this music I used to listen to on a regular basis. It also makes me realize how much of that music I wouldn't want my kids listening to now!!!

2 comments:

Phil Strahm said...

You are missing some important one's:

Kris Kross - Jump
Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock
Grandmaster Flash - The Message
Ini Kamoze - Hottstepper

etc etc

Anonymous said...

i <3 Pandora ... it's what i listen to @ the Trib ... all day ... i've heard some cool new music and some that's ... well ... not so cool.