Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mustache May

While the Mountain Dew Challenge - Part Deux remains my top priority, there's another challenge about to begin that I have decided to take part in.

Mustache May was concocted by a couple senior guys here at NMC - Eby and Griggs. Those guys are always coming up with some crazy event or slogan or joke and Mustache May is just the latest.

You can get a full explanation of this challenge at Derry's Blog sometime today, but here's the basics: Beginning May 1 all participants must start growing a mustache and not shave until June 1. A mustache is defined as facial hair that has a disconnect below the mouth, so that may lead to some very interesting mustaches. Also, participants are allowed to grow a full beard until May 14, but then must trim it down to a mustace for the rest of the month.

So, I've decided to join the movement, but with great trepidation. The thought of growing a mustache takes me back to some dark days. You see, the last time I set out to grow just a mustache, this is what it looked like:


Some of you are shocked by that picture. Some of you are thinking I looked pretty awesome. Some of you just laughed. I understand all of those reactions. Just keep in mind that it was spring of 1994 and I was 17 years old.

This challenge also gives me some anxiety because my facial hair isn't all that impressive, as you can read about here and see another picture here.

I will not be mastered by my fear, however. I will conquer it and grow a mustache to be proud of!

No comments: