Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Softball Season

Last night was the official start of softball season, at least for me. We had our first practice of the season, which always includes some hilarity as we all try to remember how to throw, catch and hit after the long off season.

My arm felt good at the start of the night, but by the end it felt more like Jello. I felt pretty good about my fielding. But, I'm an outfielder so all I had to do was catch fly balls and gather in slow grounders.

What I was most pleased with was my hitting. I started out last season as a very inconsistent hitter who could occasionally sneak a grounder past the infielders for a hit. Then, for whatever reason, I got in a groove and began to really hit the ball hard in the air. I hit a handful of home runs, including one grand slam.

I didn't know what to expect at practice last night. Would it be another year of struggling, then awakening, or would I be able to pick up where I left off last year?

The first pitch came in perfect, thanks to Marty, and I nailed it. It didn't clear the fence, but it did clear all the people who were shagging balls in the outfield, so that was a good sign. I hit a few more deep ones and finally put one out of the park, so hopefully last night wasn't a fluke and I will be able to keep that rhythm throughout the season.

I hope this doesn't sound like me bragging. I'm really not trying to do that, I'm just as shocked as most of you probably are that I can hit a ball over the fence and I'm excited about it. I shared here about how my life may have been different had I chosen to pursue baseball past my freshman year of high school. Now, softball is the closest I can get to playing baseball again, and it feels good to have some success again.

So, please bear with me as I write about softball throughout the season and please don't think I'm bragging. I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to do some pretty hardcore self-deprecating as the season goes on!

No comments: