Thursday, April 3, 2008

What I'm Reading/Will Be Watching


I started reading Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis Sunday night. This is probably the third or fourth time I've read it. My original idea was to read it to refresh my memory so when I go watch the movie sometime after it comes out on May 16 I'll be able to compare the two.

C.S. Lewis is probably my favorite author of all time. I love both his fiction and his non-fiction - maybe moreso the non-fiction. My all-time favorite by Lewis is The Screwtape Letters.

The last few books I've read have been the kind where you read a chapter then you have to take a couple days to process them in your head and heart. So, it has been a nice change of pace to let myself just get lost in the story of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy in the land of Narnia.

Here's something my friend Dan wrote to me about his thoughts on the film version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe:

I reread The lion the witch & the wardrobe right before that movie came out,
and the one thing that really stuck in my mind was how peaceful the book was
compared to the movie. Not that there wasn’t adventure or tension in the book,
but it didn’t dwell on those parts like the movie does. If I remember right, and
entire half hour battle in the movie may have been summarized in the book as “a
great battle” and then it moved on. I don’t know if I’m trying to make a point
with any of this, but it seemed to jump out at me.
I think he's right. The movie was much more violent than the book, but that's probably to be expected. By the looks of the trailer, Prince Caspian will be more of the same. And I don't necessarily a bad thing, although it may mean having to wait a few more years before I can let my kids watch the movie. But, I plan on starting to read the books to Hanah, who turns 6 in less than 2 months, very soon.

Here's the trailer:


1 comment:

Dan said...

I don't think I've ever been quoted before. I'm feeling some strange sense of power...